This week the skies turned red in the western US as forests burned and virtual school began here. Still, some things are good so pull your head off the floor, come up screaming.
- The Michelle Obama podcast on Spotify provides a soothing voice in a troubled time. It’s a relief to hear that the former First Lady also has down moments in these times. She doesn’t sugar coat any situations and yet I leave the podcast feeling soothed, hopeful, and ready to take action.
- The song In a Big Country by Big Country. I unironically love this song – the sweeping scale, the bagpipe sounding guitars, the lyrics. There are some beautiful phrases that combine with melody to paint a picture of a scrappy fight against apathy, hopelessness and depression.
I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert
But I can live and breathe
And see the sun in wintertime
So take that look out of here it doesn’t fit you
Because it’s happened doesn’t mean you’ve been discarded
Pull up your head off the floor, come up screaming
Cry out for everything you ever might have wantedfrom In a Big Country
- Parasite. We recently watched this movie about class from South Korea (available on Hulu at the moment). I can’t discuss it too much without spoilers but I would love to hear people’s interpretations of this one depending on their own class. It’s wildly entertaining and succeeds at being both funny and tense.
- Vulfpeck Live at Madison Square Garden If you are missing going to concerts and enjoy funky music and excellent musicianship then you can’t go wrong with this joyful concert.
- Shooting hoops. Yeah, I’m talking about basketball. I’ve never been a particularly sporty person and it had been decades since I last picked up a basketball. With virtual school a reality I needed to get my kid out and moving so we grabbed a basketball and went next door. I had forgotten the particular pleasure of lining up for a shot and then sound of the ball passing through the net.